Saturday 6 February 2021

Music 101

I have lived for sixty years in a monastery. There, one's duties are programmed for every waking moment. They are clear and consistent and unchanging. Everything is well ordered including how to address the other brothers. 
 
Now, out in the world, I find it very hard to adjust to the complexities of social interactions, and I find that many things have changed since Heideran's time. My social skills have atrophied. When I mentioned this to Arsia Elkin she answered "you'll make a fine capsuleer then." I'm not sure what she meant, but then again she turned her back on the Empire, so some degree of nonsense is to be expected.

Luckily, I found unexpected help in Ishta Maleto. She has proposed to acquaint me with contemporary music, so I would feel more at ease visiting the bar at Gottin's Lamp, or attending receptions.
 
Yesterday, I took her up on her offer. Alas! These lessons are hard on the soul. 
 
One of the "songs" consists of a man (calling himself "lamb of God") screaming in a voice distorted by pain. True, if he would not scream, he would not be heard above the background noise. Ishta assured me I was not listening to a record of a man being tortured. I'm not completely convinced. I think he's having sulfuric acid poured down his throat. Most of the second half of the song is taken up with the man screaming out "walk with me in hell" repeatedly as his vocal chords dissolve. This is apparently a Gallente thing.
 
The other songs were good. Or let's say, better. There was a song called "slow your roll", and Ishta explained to me what it meant. It's a call to stop using frentix before it's too late and you overdose. Oh and there was a Minmatar poet - I liked his song even though did not really sing but rhythmically recited his poem about standing up against those that want to pull him down. 
 
I in turn let her listen to choral music by the Polfaly polyphonic convent, but she was not particularly impressed I think.

Her songs all somehow help Ishta either to deal with her past, or to express her identity. They are full of energy, power and not just a little bit of anger. But I don't think I'll hear them soon at Gottin's lamp bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.